Front-end Development Lead
Posted Date: Aug. 2, 2019
Roivant is a global biopharma company that aims to improve health by rapidly delivering innovative medicines and technologies to patients. We do this by building Vants - nimble, entrepreneurial biotech and healthcare technology companies with a unique approach to sourcing talent, aligning incentives, and deploying technology to drive greater efficiency in R&D and commercialization.
Since 2014, we have built 20 Vants and have raised over $3 billion to pursue our mission. Our family of companies today includes roughly 900 employees and over 45 investigational medicines in clinical and preclinical development, targeting a wide range of serious diseases including endometriosis, prostate cancer, Parkinson's disease, sickle cell disease, and multiple rare and fatal pediatric conditions. In addition to our biopharmaceutical subsidiaries, we also build technology-focused Vants focused on improving the process of developing and commercializing medicines.
Roivant's employees are its most important assets. Our hiring strategy is to identify top talent from all backgrounds and develop future leaders across our businesses. We prioritize intellect and entrepreneurial energy first and look for team members who can create value and take ownership over their projects. We offer a fast-paced environment that values work ethic, analytical rigor, collaboration, and creative thinking.
At Roivant, we will give you the resources and freedom to tackle some of the most important and challenging problems in healthcare. If you find that exciting, we want to work with you.
About the Opportunity
How often are you given the opportunity to build something from the ground up, with an abundance of resources at your disposal; to be part of a team of people accomplished in diverse scientific and engineering disciplines, focused on using the best of what lies at the forefront of technology to address complex, real-world problems that have a positive impact on potentially millions of peoples' lives? This is that kind of opportunity.
We are seeking a thoughtful hands-on Front-end Development Lead to join the rapidly growing team in our New York City headquarters, focused on building a new digital health Vant. The ideal candidate has a serious passion for user-centered design and development; believes in constantly evolving and improving through iteration, testing, user research, and experimentation; and has the agility to go from the whiteboard design of an application all the way to the nuances of code implementation.
- Lead the front-end development of our clinical trial risk monitoring application, which enables data analysis and visualization across various study dimensions
- Take an active role in defining the front-end architecture
- Build and implement data-driven applications that consume service-oriented RESTful APIs to drive functionality and optimize front-end performance
- Work with in-house, off-shore and/or near-shore development teams to achieve iterative sprint goals
- Help the people who report to you grow and accomplish more by setting clear goals, providing direct feedback, managing project loads and allocating resources accordingly, and ensuring deadlines are met
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Work with product managers and designers to rapidly produce prototypes
- Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues, troubleshoot problems, and improve product quality
- Develop robust and production-level code to implement new product features in collaboration with other designers, engineers and subject matter experts
- Collaborate with the Roivant Data Architecture and Development Operations platform teams to evaluate and implement methodologies and workflows to facilitate the frequent and continuous release of high-quality software
- Help recruit highly capable engineers to the team from diverse backgrounds
- Mentor and be mentored by engineers of varied experience levels and subject matter areas
- 3+ years relevant experience leading front-end application development
- Superior skills writing modular, scalable, performant code
- Knowledge of data visualization and charting libraries (e.g. D3, DC, C3, Plotly, etc.)
- Strong understanding of web standards and front-end design concepts like layout, specificity, accessibility, and browser compatibility across multiple platforms and devices
- Experience working in an Agile software development environment
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized, with effective multi-tasking and prioritization skills
- Proactive, self-motivated and self-directed, with the ability to learn quickly and autonomously
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Superior problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work as part of a collaborative cross-functional team in a fast-paced environment
- Sincere interest in working at a rapidly changing start-up and scaling with the company as we grow
- Bachelor's degree with strong academic performance in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Applied Science, or equivalent field
Preferred (Nice-to-have) Qualifications
- Experience building user interfaces that support analytics and interactive data visualization
- Experience designing or writing unit tests and/or functional tests in a continuous integration environment
- Experience with AWS S3, EC2, EMR, or an equivalent cloud-hosted infrastructure
- Comfortable learning and using other coding languages such as Python, SQL, etc.
- Familiarity with design, wireframing, and prototyping tools (e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch, InVision, Zeplin, Balsamiq, Figma, Framer, Axure, etc.)
- Experience in the life sciences industry
- Experience with healthcare data, ideally clinical/operational clinical trial data
- Knowledge of e-clinical systems and technologies (e.g. EDC, CTMS, IRT, etc.)
- Direct experience collaborating with clinical research/operations professionals
- Familiarity with BI tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau, Qlik, Spotfire, etc.)
- Advanced degree (e.g. MBA, MSc, PhD, etc.) in relevant field