At Roivant, we are passionate about discovering and developing new drugs to impact patients' lives. Since its inception in 2014, Roivant has launched over 20 portfolio companies (Vants), overseen 5 successful IPOs, established a $3B partnership with a global pharma, built a pipeline of over 40 assets across various modalities and therapeutic areas, and delivered 8 successful phase 3 readouts.
Roivant's drug discovery capabilities are driven by our computational discovery platform, which combines preeminent physics-based tools with deep expertise in machine learning to generate unprecedented analytical power that can tackle previously intractable discovery challenges. The tight integration of this computational platform with our experimental capabilities enables the rapid design and optimization of new drugs to address a wide range of targets for diseases with high unmet need.
We believe that the future of drug discovery lies in integrating predictive sciences, biology and medicinal chemistry to accelerate the path to new medicines. This role is an opportunity to be an architect of this paradigm shift and generate transformative benefit for patients.
Roivant Discovery is looking for an experienced leader responsible for guiding, growing, and managing the Biochemistry team. The successful candidate will provide scientific and leadership support to the team, help prioritize allocation of resources, and oversee the development of the scientific & operational infrastructure required to meet Roivant Discovery needs in biochemistry. The essential attributes of the successful candidate include the demonstrated success designing, proofing, and implementing complex biochemical assay cascades in support of rational drug discovery efforts; proven ability to set up and troubleshoot semi-automated assay pipelines; experience with most modern biochemical methods; high level of expertise in classical enzymology; together with passion for scientific excellence and experience in applying biochemical techniques to small molecule drug discovery. The ideal candidate is highly dynamic, multifaceted professional with deep and broad experience in design and execution of complex experiments in the context of multi-disciplinary teams, and solid experience leading teams of scientists in a matrixed environment. Working closely with other researchers in our drug discovery organization, the candidate will advance our biochemistry capabilities to match the needs of our growing Discovery portfolio.
- Lead the cross-functional Biochemistry team, providing strategic and technical leadership in all aspects of the assay design and implementation process as well as insights into enzyme structure-function relationship and mechanism
- Grow and maintain the foundational technologies for biochemical experimentation within Roivant Discovery
- Provide long term perspective and operational needs analysis consistent with our vision for success, plan and execute the needed changes to attain state of the art status
- Oversee the activities of CROs and collaborators including scoping, monitoring delivery, QC, technology transfer, identification of new opportunities, etc.
- Build a culture of personal accountability, teamwork, and mentorship that supports the professional development of direct reports and others - be a resource for professional growth of colleagues on the team as well as across Roivant
- PhD and/or post-doctoral training in biochemistry, enzymology, protein chemistry or related disciplines
- 10+ years of relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience in biochemistry and its application to small molecule drug discovery
- 5+ years of experience building, managing, and leading teams to successfully meet objectives supporting the organization, its people, and patients
- Deep practical knowledge and recent hands-on expertise in the knowledge arena pertinent to biochemical research - especially as it applies to assays, enzyme mechanisms, inhibition, and early Hit Discovery
- Abiding dedication to high quality science - the ability to reconcile early discovery processes with the need for stringently curated, reproducible data that drives quantitative SAR
- Detailed, in-depth understanding/appreciation of protein production work required for the successful biochemical experimentation
- Preference will be given to candidates with proven track record of leadership and a strong biochemistry/enzymology background in an industrial setting
- Deep expertise in multiple relevant techniques and methods; documented success at method development is a highly desirable attribute
- Experience with, and commitment to managing difficult scientific projects in a fast-paced industrial setting
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational and communication skills
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic and highly collaborative environment
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and interpersonal skills are required to work with cross departmental teams/functions to drive drug discovery projects
- In-depth knowledge of structure-based drug discovery and qSAR
Roivant Sciences provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.